Wednesday, October 27, 2010

News.


Big news.  The BF proposed!!  WOOOOO HOOO!  I’m engaged.

This is scary, and exciting, and a huge surprise. 

All I can think about is the money; where can I save without affecting the time my guests have at the wedding?  I’ve been to a few weddings where it’s blatantly obvious where the money was skimped and where it wasn’t.  I’ve also been to weddings where guests were asked to do things like contribute to the bride and groom’s honeymoon instead of gifts – this is not on the list for us, as I think it’s tacky for us to ask people to send US on a trip when it may have been a year or more since they’ve spent money on a trip for themselves.

Here are a few ways I’ve come up with to save:

-         designer sample sale dress – I can get one for $500 or less {none of this Say Yes to the Dress over priced shizz for me….I’m a size 2…I can fit into the mannequin stuff!}
-         make my own favours
-         make my own place cards and menus
-         use fake flowers in the centerpieces
-         get a friend to do the engagement pics {which, I’m not even 100% sure I want yet!}
-         make my own invites
-         hire a friend to be the DJ
-         ask friends to volunteer services instead of a gift – ie. A makeup artist or hairdresser friend


There’s only one problem:  I’m not crafty.  Perhaps getting things made on Etsy.com will be a better bet!

Any tips from you married readers out there?  How can I save without looking cheap?


Hugs,
*Canadian Girl


PS
This will NOT turn into a wedding blog.  I will NOT be bridezilla.  If you see that happening, please tell me in the comments.  I love you all and want you to enjoy my blog!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!

    I'm excited...and will blog a bit about the budge for the wedding, but not too much; I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! You might like The Offbeat Bride for wedding inspiration: http://offbeatbride.com/ -- they have some awesome frugal ideas, and links to crafty vendors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah - thanks...I will check that site out later today.

    ReplyDelete