Saturday, March 27, 2010

*Canadian Girl Was Wondering: 6 year old edition.



Why the eff do my fingers always wrinkle when I shower for too long, or I'm in the pool for an extended period?  It's something I've always wondered.  So, I Googled.  Yes, I Googled.

Here's your answer:

Basically, your skin is made up of two levels: the epidermis and dermis.  The top layer {or epidermis} is made up of keratin-based proteins and is designed to basically keep the water out.  However, when exposed to water for long periods, the keratin absorbs the water and swells, while the under layers do not.  Thus, there is a wrinkling effect due to the increased swelling. 


There you have it.  A random, un-scientific answer to a rando question.

How old am I, six?  See a good article to answer it better here.


Hugs,

*Canadian Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment